Where The Wicked Read.... My Spot To Talk About, Review, Share My Love Of Books, and Anything Else That Comes To Mind..

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tuesday's featured poem... Places.. by. Sara Teasdale

Places



Places I love come back to me like music,

Hush me and heal me when I am very tired;

I see the oak woods at Saxton's flaming

In a flare of crimson by the frost newly fired;

And I am thirsty for the spring in the valley

As for a kiss ungiven and long desired.



I know a bright world of snowy hills at Boonton,

A blue and white dazzling light on everything one sees,

The ice-covered branches of the hemlocks sparkle

Bending low and tinkling in the sharp thin breeze,

And iridescent crystals fall and crackle on the snow-crust

With the winter sun drawing cold blue shadows from the trees.



Violet now, in veil on veil of evening

The hills across from Cromwell grow dreamy and far;

A wood-thrush is singing soft as a viol

In the heart of the hollow where the dark pools are;

The primrose has opened her pale yellow flowers

And heaven is lighting star after star.



Places I love come back to me like music --

Mid-ocean, midnight, the waves buzz drowsily;

In the ship's deep churning the eerie phosphorescence

Is like the souls of people who were drowned at sea,

And I can hear a man's voice, speaking, hushed, insistent,

At midnight, in mid-ocean, hour on hour to me.



~Sara Teasdale~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so feel free to comment all you like :)